Sunday, November 25, 2012

Dear Chacos,

You were only mine for about 17 months, but you were on my feet every day for probably 8 of those months.  You went to 4 different countries with me.  I was so excited to have you re-strapped and re-soled when I got home.  I was so looking forward to keeping you forever.  And then yesterday, I walked outside to where you always were, every morning since we got to Malawi, and you were gone.  I guess the Chaco thief had big feet if he only wanted my shoes and Liza's.  Thank you for holding up through 2 months in Nicaragua, 9 weeks of camp, 3 months in East Africa, and more.  Wearing flip-flops from Wal-Mart for the next three weeks just won't be the same.

In the end though, you were just shoes.  I was am still sad you're gone, but yesterday I got to make friends with a little orphan named Hemzat and play games with the kids at the orphan care center for the day.  I got to hang out with my team and enjoy the Malawian sun for another day. Today I got to eat freaking pancakes for breakfast and have church with the Expedition Girls and our new South African friends.  In 24 hours this day will be gone.  In 2 weeks our ministry time will be over.  In less than 3 weeks I'll be back in Virginia.

As much as I’m looking forward to seeing my family and friends, eating American food, celebrating Christmas, and weather that isn’t anything like summer, I know that once this time is gone, I can’t get it back.

So Chacos, I’m heartbroken that you’re gone, but I would have lost my Chaco tan eventually anyway.  I’ll choose these moments, these days, these weeks with these people, these communities, these lives. 

And then maybe one day I’ll get new Chacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment